AlpBase is situated in Vallouise, the gateway to the Ecrins National Park and the centre of the Hautes Alpes; one of the least populated and most pristine areas in France. This region of the country - 05 - comprises the Southern French Alps and is one of the few alpine areas in Europe that has always controlled its tourism. As well as substantially better weather – a guaranteed 300 days of sunshine every year - this area is definitely a lot less commercialised than the Northern French Alps.
The Hautes Alpes offers the widest range of outdoor activities anywhere in Europe year round. Go to the Activities section and you will see what we mean!
Sporting EventsThe Ecrins is the sporting centre of France and comprises many activity events and competitions. Here are a few of the best:
- ICE - Europe’s largest Ice Climbing festival
- Ailefroide - France’s second centre of Alpinism
- La Grave - off-piste capital of Europe
- Tout a bloc – The largest European bouldering festival
- Mondial de L’Escalade – 5 days of world-class climbing
- Montagne en Fete – The Ecrins Mountaineering Festival
- Le Stade D'Eau Vive – France’s National White Water Center
SeasonsWinter - Late November to early April. During this period you can ski and board downhill and off-piste. X-C skiing and ice-fall climbing runs from mid December to early March. From late March you can start to hike and rock climb.
Spring - April to mid June. few visitors come to the Hautes Alpes during this season yet it's great for walking, rock climbing, bouldering, white water rafting and kayaking, mountain biking and road cycling, Via Ferrata, and paragliding. This is arguably the best period for walkers as you will be hiking in t-shirts, through