Travel by Plane to Alpbase
We suggest travelling by low cost airlines – but always book in advance to get the best prices because as seats get booked the price increases. Also check the baggage allowance. Taking a plane from the UK we recommend flying to Turin (Caselle Airport). This is our nearest airport, only 2 hours transfer – 143km from Vallouise and us.
Other airlines and airports to try if flying from the UK:
- Grenoble (Saint Geoirs) - 140 km: 2:00hrs
- Milan* (Bergamo, Linate or Malpensa) - 279 km: 3:00hrs (25 Euros in tolls)
- Geneva (Switzerland) - 267km: 3:30hrs (Swiss motorway sticker 33 Euros + 67 Euros in tolls)
- Marseille (Marignane) - 251km: 3:30hrs (15 Euros in tolls)
- Lyon - 234km: 3:30hrs (18 Euros for tolls)
- Nice - 240km: 4:00hrs (25 Euros in tolls)
* Of the three, Milan-Malpensa is usually the best.
TURIN - CASELLE AIRPORT
We recommend the following airlines if flying from the UK to Turin - Caselle airport:
- British Airways
- Ryanair: Ryanair fly direct to Turin from Stansted twice daily. Tel: 08701 246 0000
- KLM: KLM fly to Turin via Amsterdam from 14 UK airports including London (Heathrow; City Airport; Gatwick);Birmingham;Bristol;Cardiff;Edinburgh;Glasgow;Leeds;Manchester; Newcastle; Tee Side. Tel: 0870 507 4074
- Blue Air
Transfer from Turin airport to Vallouise
You have three options:
- Rent a car at the airport. We recommend this as having a car is the best way to get around the Hautes Alpes. Public Transport is not great!
- Hire a taxi - this will be as much as €300 one way
- Bus/train combination - first bus to Porta Nuova train station in centre of Turin. Then train to Oulx. Then bus to Briançon. Finally taxi to us. It will take you most of the day but it will only set you back around €50. The most environmentally friendly, but only if you have the time and energy!
Directions from Turin Airport (Caselle) to AlpBase:
N.B. Toll prices correct as of Feb. 2015
Walk out of Arrivals hall and across the road to the ground floor of the car park, where you’ll see the sign for the Car Hire.
> Leaving the car hire park at the airport go straight ahead onto a dual carriageway.
> Take exit indicated “autostrade – tangenziale” (motorway). Head for Torino USCITA 1 (green motorway exit sign) – the exits count down from 3.
> Take the Frejus signs (NOT Milan)
> First toll €1.30 (does not accept credit cards, go to toll signposted with image of man taking money)
> Second toll €4.50
> You go through many tunnels.
> Third toll €6.20
> This section takes approximately one hour travelling at 100 kph+ and is all on the motorway.
Now you need to pay attention!
> Take the exit SS24 Monginevro (Italian for Montgenevre). This exit is also for Claviere and Sestriere.
> Once you have left the motorway you need to follow signs for Monginevro/Claviere and Francia (Italian for France!).
> From here you’ll climb the mountain pass Col de Montgenevre, and just after the village of Claviere you’ll cross the border into France.
> After Montgenevre you have got some more classic mountain road driving down the other side into Briancon.
> Once in Briancon follow “Toutes Directions” and then Gap/Sisteron. You go round Briancon and then out on the main road heading south on the N94.
> Approximately 5 kilometres past Briancon and after a main roundabout, at the village of Prelles, take a right-hand turn signposted to Les Vigneaux and Vallouise.
> Follow this minor road for 15 minutes all the way to Les Vigneaux. Drive straight through this little hamlet to the main road to Vallouise.
> Turn right at the obvious T-junction signposted Vallouise/Puy-St-Vincent and drive for a further 5 minutes up to the village, passing Vallouise La Casse en route.
> Go all the way to Vallouise and take "Centre" signs turning left into Vallouise itself.